Affiliate Summit East is going to be here before we know it. I’ve ordered my costume for the ShareASale party, counted my business cards, and double checked my reservations. Now it’s time for two main things–setting my conference goals and pre-networking.
Earlier this year I wrote about planning for Affiliate Summit and setting goals, so we don’t need to talk about that again (although re-reading it in anticipation of the conference is a good idea!) Let’s talk about starting your Affiliate Summit networking and how you might even be able to score a free ticket (worth $125) to Affiliate Karaoke.
My Networking Session
Off the bat you need to know about my session with Eric Nagel and Vanessa Branco.
- Getting the Most Out of Networking: Best Practices Revealed
- Shubert Complex
- Monday, Aug 11 @ 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
- Affiliates and merchants know that networking is important but are likely not doing enough of it. Learn the benefits networking can give you plus concrete methods you should start using today.
We have some REALLY cool stuff planned including some audience interaction, our best secret networking tips, and a take-home guide that will amp up your network really fast!
Starting Your Networking Now
I know…Affiliate Summit is still a week and a half away. That’s where the real networking happens, right? Yes, and no. What you get out of the conference in large part depends on what you put into it. That means getting your ducks in a row before you get there. Even Shawn Collins mentioned it lat week (and he should know). Things like:
- Figure out who you need to reconnect with that you already know and drop them a line to see when you might meet up or cross paths. If you want a more extended time to talk, set up a meeting.
- Look for new people you want to meet. You can find them in a lot of ways including following the #ASE14 hashtag on Twitter, joining the Affiliate Summit East Facebook group, and signing up for the official networking site.
- Once you figure out who you want to meet, start following them on Twitter, G+, and Facebook. Not in a creepy stalker way. Just get to know them a little bit and, if applicable, comment on their posts.
- Make sure that you have any materials you want to hand out ready to go. This might include business cards, Q4 promotion cards for your company, and even giveaway items.
- Get your name out there. Don’t just be a follower!
- Write a blog post about Affiliate Summit and it will likely get shared and read by a lot of attendees. Tell us who you want to meet and what your goals are. The more people know about you in advance, the more likely they are to seek you out rather than the other way around.
- Even just Tweeting with the #ASE14 hashtag will get you noticed. (Just don’t SPAM it!)
Make the Most of the Time in NYC
As I mentioned above, you should be setting up at least a few meetings with people you want to meet. Beyond that, you need to plan every opportunity you can to meet with people. The educational sessions are great, but you need to balance them with the social time. Some of my plans for this time include:
- The ShareASale Party Under the Stars. Yes, it is $25 this year. But it will be worth it. It’s a great chance to meet people in a relaxed setting. If you don’t know anyone there, find me!! I promise that if you ask around, someone will be able to point you in my direction.
- Never miss a meal. That doesn’t sound quite right when written that way but I mean it! If you have the pass that includes meals and the snack break, make every effort to be there (even breakfast although it seems early in the morning when you have been up “networking” late the night before). Meals are some of the best places to meet new people and actually be able to have a conversation.
- The ABestWeb Cocktail Hour. I’ve been a member over there since I first started affiliate marketing and love catching up with old friends plus meeting the newer members.
- Meet Market and Exhibit Hall. Even if you don’t think there is something there for you, there will be. It might be someone you meet at a booth or it might even be someone you meet wandering around! Put it into your schedule to visit both for at least a couple of hours.
- Performance Marketing Association Events. I don’t have all of the details yet, but I know that there is going to be an Open Forum for members to talk to the Board of Directors Saturday night plus a fundraiser on Sunday. Both will be places to connect with industry veterans.
- Affiliate Karaoke
Wait…what’s Affiliate Karaoke?
Affiliate Karaoke Giveaway
Affiliate Karaoke is being put on by me and some of my friends, with some really great sponsors. There’s a lot of back story that basically starts with the fact that Affiliate Summit used to have an official karaoke night that we loved. When it was discontinued, we tried to find other venues to meet up at…with varied luck. So this year we took matters into our own hands!
This event will be a maximum of 100 people (I know because I have the wristbands!). So it’s a small group. It’s an Open Bar plus Appetizers (which I helped pick out and look delicious). There will be people in attendance that have been in the industry since the first Affiliate Summit! Sponsors have a total of 60 tickets to give out as they see fit, or you can buy a ticket for $125.
As a sponsor, I get to decide what to do with my tickets and I have decided to give 2 of them away. If you are looking to attend a smaller event and network with people who can connect you with pretty much anyone in the industry, this is the one to come to!
Rules: You must be attending Affiliate Summit to enter. It’s not because we are affiliated with Affiliate Summit (because we are NOT) but rather because we only want people in the industry to attend the party so that it is a true networking opportunity. In addition, if you are one of the winners, you must get the wristband from me by noon on Monday at Affiliate Summit or I will give it to someone else. They are going to be heavily sought after and I want to be sure that it gets used! So please don’t enter if you don’t plan on showing up. Too many other people want it!
To Enter: The Rafflecopter is below. I’ve tried to make it interesting. Contest ends Thursday, August 7 at midnight Eastern. I’ll randomly choose 2 people to win wristbands.
Let’s get started networking!!
Latest posts by Tricia Meyer (see all)
- Vemma FTC Action and Affiliate Marketing - August 26, 2015
- Affiliate Summit Drops Price of VIP Pass - August 21, 2015
- New Guidance on “Contractors” Impacts Affiliate Marketers - July 16, 2015